Links

archives

Saturday, April 08, 2006

 

"The Tax-Form Shuffle" or "Another Reason I'm a Republican"

Today I dotted the I's and crossed all the T's on my tax forms. I've never been happy about having to do this, because unlike most people I know, I have to pay the government instead of getting a nice return. These are the pitfalls of freelance designing, I know, but having to go through this mess every year has done nothing but remind me why I am a Republican.

It's been the standard conservative theory that lower and less taxes will lead to a stronger, more competitive economy. Cutting down paperwork, getting rid of the IRS, and not punished successful people all tend to be high on our priority list. And far off in the distance, I hold that Libertarian dream of a true flat tax where my income is left untouched and I can buy all of the used, tax-free stuff I like... oh that will be the day.

But the Fair Tax Initiative is a long way off. While President Bush has been trying to reform the tax code, as well as making his welcomed tax-cuts permanent, most politicians don't even want to think about something as drastic as a flat tax. Why, without the IRS how would our government function? Most can't even imagine living in a country where we get to keep 100% of our paychecks and pensions. It's a shame, really. Because until then, we'll be wasting millions of those little Post-it "sign here" tabs.



** Although this blog is maintained by members of the Republican Committee of Beaver County, the views expressed herein by its members and users do not necessarily reflect the views of the Committee. Please view the Committee website for a formal review of its principles and mission statement.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?